Facilitator Training Course – Expression of Interest
Welcome! We’re thrilled that you’re interested in becoming a facilitator for the Deep Time Walk.
Our training course is designed to equip you with the skills and knowledge needed to successfully lead a Deep Time Walk with small groups, creating a safe and engaging environment for participants to explore the history of the Earth and encourage positive action to address the climate and biodiversity crises.
What You’ll Learn
Participants in the training course will learn:
- The basics of a Deep Time Walk and the transformative learning objectives which underpin the walking experience
- The science included in the walk, based on peer-reviewed journals
- Our code of conduct for facilitating a Deep Time Walk
- How to facilitate a group, creating a safe space that allows transformative learning to flourish
- How to craft a suitable walking route
- How to manage logistics, before and after the walk
The training course will be a combination of on-demand and online learning, with some opportunities for in-person training where available. The total time commitment is expected to be between 12-16 hours over several weeks. As part of the training course, you will be provided with a comprehensive set of supporting materials, including updated versions of Earth Stations (the science) and Holding Space (the facilitation skills).
Before the training course, you should have already experienced a Deep Time Walk, ideally in person in a small group led by another facilitator. If this is not possible due to walks available in your location, you can also experience the walk via the Deep Time Walk App or by listening to the TedTalk.
Basic training in facilitation will be given as well as an introduction to the scientific concepts, although a basic knowledge of climate change is helpful. More than anything, you should come with an open mind and a positive attutide towards helping bring about a mutually enhancing human-Earth relationship.